Have Manchester City bid £100m for Harry Kane?
Updated: Jun 23, 2021
In short, yes, they're preparing an offer worth up to £100million according to multiple sources, which is an indication of the news having been leaked by a particular party - with Matt Law of The Telegraph reporting Manchester City as having told Harry Kane that they have put together an opening offer worth up to £100million - it's likely the news of a bid has come from people close to the England captain. Despite denials from official club sources of an official bid being tabled, informal discussions have likely intensified in recent hours, days, or weeks, to the point where a proposal has been presented informally through intermediaries or directly between the clubs at a basic level at the very least - as suggested by The Times, who report that Pep Guardiola's side contacted Tottenham several weeks ago to signal their interest and have told them they will offer £100million and are prepared to include players.
As many as seven different sources have reported more or less the same story, the Premier League champions preparing a £100million offer and giving Tottenham the option of players within a deal. However, all sources maintain that Daniel Levy has no intention of selling his star man and will do everything within his power to convince the striker to stay in North London - rejecting the bid being readied by City.
Fabrizio Romano got the ball rolling when he tweeted that City have made an official proposal to Spurs for Kane, with £100million guaranteed and the availability to include players in the deal - Raheem Sterling, Aymeric Laporte, and Gabriel Jesus being among the names. Romano did state that Spurs had no intentions of accepting the bid and that nothing would be decided during the Euros.
Stuart Brennan of the Manchester Evening News and Alasdair Gold of football.london were quick to present the official word from the clubs, who were both in unison of their denial of this official bid as having gone in - with the word out of City being that they do not expect to make any serious moves in terms of incomings until the conclusion of Euro 2020.
Gold added that Paulo Fonseca was told that the England #9 would not be leaving the club this summer and to plan with him in his side by Tottenham last week.
Following this was Matt Law of The Telegraph, who reported that City are believed to have communicated to Kane that they have structured a deal worth an initial £85million, plus an additional £15million in bonuses and first refusal on their unwanted players.
Law also confirmed the reports by Alasdair Gold of potential candidates for the head coach role at Spurs being told that there was no intention to sell Kane. It was also added that Spurs sources are adamant they are yet to receive an official bid for their #10, but that it was clear that City have begun the process of trying to get negotiations underway on a deal.
Perhaps the most intriguing element of the report from The Telegraph is that City are not expected to cap their interest at £100million, which would suggest more offers are set to be presented over the following weeks.
Spurs are reportedly not going to accept any players in exchange as part of a bid. Raheem Sterling's name has been mentioned by certain outlets, but the England winger is said to be not interested in being used as a makeweight, with various sources reporting this as being the case over the past few weeks. The North London side are reportedly unable to afford Sterling's wages in any case.
What followed were reports in the Mail from Sami Mokbel, the Evening Standard from Dan Kilpatrick, Sky Sports, ESPN from Rob Dawson and James Olley, and The Times from Pol Ballus and Gary Jacob, which all pretty much followed the same story explained in this brief summary, more or less.
Written by: @NA1907_
Follow our Twitter account for reliable, live updates on all the latest news surrounding this saga and everything Manchester City in real time.